Doug focuses his practice on Elder Law and Estate Planning here at Pierce Law Group. Specifically, Doug assists clients in matters related to Estate Planning (and related wills, trusts, and powers of attorney), Special Needs Trusts for elders and children, and protections for children of younger families. Also, Doug practices in the area of Veteran’s benefits (service connect disability) and Medicaid planning.
During his spare time, Doug prides himself on volunteering in the community as much as possible. Doug offers expertise to various programs including:
- The NC Bar Association Foundation
- Legal Aid of North Carolina
- The UNC Pro Bono Cancer Clinic
- Downtown Durham Rotary Club
- The Gideons
- North Carolina Association of Professional Family Mediators, President
Doug is a graduate of the Michigan State University College of Law and was involved in the business law and alternative dispute resolution programs. He also holds a degree in Metallurigcal Engineering from Dartmouth College at the Thayer School of Engineering. His work on high-temperature superalloys for Howmet was exciting and led to a career in IT. Doug retired from Ford Motor Company and now serves clients by focusing on their estate planning needs.
- Who’s Who Magazine: Ranked as a Top Attorney in North Carolina
- 2016 Finalist for Entrepreneurial Attorney of the Year by Richard James Marketing
- A top three rated Estate Planning attorney in Durham, North Carolina by ThreeBestRated.com